Extraordinary Minister of Holy Communion
GOAL OF POSITION
Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion, blessed to be an active part of the Liturgy, serve the OLPH community by assisting the celebrant through the distribution of the Body and Blood of Our Lord, Jesus Christ, at Mass. Extraordinary Minister Volunteers are responsible for setting up for each designated Mass and cleaning the vessels before and after the Holy Mass. If you are also a member of Outreach Ministers (visiting the sick and homebound) Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion, distribute Holy Eucharist by Visiting the Sick and Elderly (where appropriate with the permission of the Pastor).
Extraordinary Minister Leader & Visiting the Sick and Elderly Leader, Ministry Liaison and the Pastor.
The Extraordinary Minister Volunteer will be responsible for:
- Setting up and cleaning the vessels before and after the Liturgy;
- Prayerfully serving the people by distributing the Body and Blood of Christ during Eucharistic celebrations; as scheduled or requested;
- Attending training and formation programs for Extraordinary Ministers as required
The schedule is prepared throughout the year with a special schedule prepared for Christmas and Easter Celebrations. Volunteers are scheduled to serve at Sunday Mass 1-2 times per month and by request of the Pastor. Volunteers are asked to arrive at least ½ hour to prepare and set-up vessels and to stay after Mass to clean and put vessels away, etc. Approximate time 1 ½ hours.
LENGTH OF COMMITMENT
2 year, renewable
Standard parish orientation, leadership and ministry-specific training provided by the Pastor and Extraordinary Minister Leader.
QUALIFICATIONS AND SPECIAL SKILLS
The Extraordinary Minister Volunteer is expected to have a solid understanding of the Church’s teaching of the Eucharist, and:
- Is a fully initiated member of the Catholic Church in good standing and an active member of OLPH Parish;
- Has a love for the Eucharist; and participates fully as a member of the Parish;
- Is committed to prayer, living the Gospel values and a willingness for personal growth in their faith development;
- Demonstrates the ability of serving collaboratively with others;
- Shows humility and willingness to develop in their ministry-specific area;
- Is approved by the Pastor.
BENEFITS TO THIS POSITION
“The Eucharist constitutes the very life of the Church, for the Lord said, ‘I am the bread of life. No one who comes to me shall ever be hungry, no one who believes in me shall ever thirst.’" You will come to know active, and faithful Extraordinary Minister Volunteers in our Parish community. You will deepen your faith through your service and through volunteer training and formation.
If you are interested in being a part of this ministry or have questions about it, please contact the parish office.