Our Lady of Perpetual Help Parish, is beautifully located on approximately 15 acres at 635 Tranquille Road, Kamloops, BC. The Parish consists of 4 distinct buildings: The Church and Rectory; the Chancery Office; Our Lady of Perpetual Help Parish Centre and Our Lady of Perpetual Help School. The Church and buildings are in the shape of a cross with the Church being the centre, the Chancery Office on the left hand side, closest to Poplar Street, and the Rectory/Parish Office on the right.
Our Lady of Perpetual Help Parish originally belonged to Sacred Heart Cathedral Parish.
In 1953 under the leadership of Bishop Michael Alphonsus Harrington, the founder and first pastor of Our Lady of Perpetual Help Parish, three lots were purchased from Mrs. Doris Martin. These three lots make up the property on which the church presently stands. In June, 1953 a building committee was formed, the blessing given and the first sod turned.
Our Lady of Perpetual Help church was built mostly by the generous volunteer labour of parishioners, giving up most of their evenings and weekends to get the project done.
Even without windows, an incomplete roof and with only a wood stove for heat, the unfinished church was the “manger” for the first Mass celebrated on Christmas Eve, 1953.
The official blessing was held in August, 1954 with 35 families in the parish. Thanks to the hard work and dedication of Bishop Harrington, and of all the volunteers, their dream of having a church had become a reality.
The bell, called St. Catherine, was installed in the church tower and blessed on December 3, 1961.
Canvassing for the necessary funds to build a school began in October, 1959. Countless volunteer hours were spent working to make yet another parish dream a reality and in 1961 Our Lady of Perpetual Help School and convent were both completed. At the invitation of Bishop Harrington, four Sisters of St. Martha from Antigonish, Nova Scotia arrived in 1962 to serve at Our Lady of Perpetual Help School and Parish.
As the parish continued to flourish, Bishop Adam Exner, OMI, decided to create a new parish in Westsyde, called St. John Vianney and, in 1979 appointed Fr. John Doetzel, OMI as the first pastor.
In October 1992, sod was turned to construct a centre that would be used by the parish family, and by the children of Our Lady of Perpetual Help School. The official opening was held on September 26, 1993.
The history of Our Lady of Perpetual Help Parish is a truly amazing story of generosity and of blessings from above.
Parish Priests who have served at Our Lady of Perpetual Help Church:
1952 - Most Reverend Michael Alphonsus Harrington (Bishop and Pastor)
1971 - Monsignor John Miles
1975 - Rev. Vincent Roche
1976 - Rev. Barry Desmond
1981- Rev. Bernard McGorry
1982 - Rev. Hugh Kerr
1983 - Rev. John A. MacIntrye
1986 - Rev. Donal O’Reilly
1987 - Rev. Pepe Garcia
1989 - Rev. Fred Weisbeck
1994 - Rev. Dale Normandeau
1996 - Msgr. John A. MacIntrye
1998 - Rev. Peter Hoan Nguyen
1958 - Rev. Herbert H. Bourne (part time)
1958 - Rev. Thomas Flannery
1966 - Rev. Gerald Biollo
1972 - Rev. Matthew Fitzpatrick (5 months)
1973 - Rev. Joseph A. Barette
1974- Rev. Erlindo Molon
1975 - Rev. John Doetzel
1977- Rev. Aurelio Crisologo
1997 - Rev. Tony Ackerman